Monday, June 25, 2007

Peeks of Peaks: Part Two




This is one of my favorite sides of the island. Driving along the perimeter of the island, you approach a curve and all of these wonderful stone sculptures start emerging from the landscape. We have seen these sculptures every year we have visited the island and it seems that each time the number increases. I was unable to walk down to see them up close since my ankle is most sensitive to walking on uneven surfaces so Jeff and the kids walked down to view them at a closer range. The last two photos are Jeff's.

9 comments:

Sandie said...

I have really enjoyed looking at yours and Jeff's pictures of the island! It reminds me how much fun I had the one time I visited Maine.

I when to Rock Port first to interview for a photography summer job, then I went to one of the islands I don't even remember the name. It was so beautiful I didn't want to leave. The seafood there is incredible too! We are too far from the coast to get really good seafood.

Dancingirl said...

Very interesting! I'm glad to see how tall one of the sculptures is. I love traveling vicariously!

SUSAN said...

So cool! Have y'all made a stone sculpture?

Susan

Sandy said...

Beautiful landscape and sculpture. This reminded me of a documentary I watched a few years ago, Rivers and Tides, about Andy Goldsworthy, an artist who makes sculpture out of leaves, rock, ice...etc. Really enjoying yours and Jeff's pics from Maine!

Jay said...

oh thats so cool rock sculptures by the way check out my new pictures and comment them

Ampersand said...

ahh, what a beautiful place...

Susanne Barrett said...

Love the rocky coastline and the sculptures. Beautiful!

Lynette said...

One of our favorite islands is Block Island. There is a beach there where the rocks are smooth and oval, and everyone tries to see how high they can stack them, one stone wide. When you climb down the steep steps to the beach and see these rock towers all over, you just have to give it a try. Funny how different beaches lend themselves to different sculptures.

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.