Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 33: Fortune


This fortune hit a little too close to home since my husband is a photographer. For him, entering a dark room without light would be a good thing if it was a darkroom. For me, it's the opposite. Literally, it wouldn't be that bad entering a dark room without light, but really do I want to be following someone else's path? It's hard to tease apart sharing a business that focuses on my husband's talents and that provides everything for our family from whether or not I am following his path or assisting him on his path. I guess I'd like to more clearly define my own path. Certain parts of my path are undeniable such as being a mother and wife. 

(A little back history for those who don't know me as well as others... my hubby and I met in art school. I used to make huge sculptures out of clay and have a degree in ceramics, he made lots of very involved photographs and sets and has a degree in photography. We started a photography business because it made sense. He has always wanted to be a photographer. I, on the other hand, have not. I will utilize the camera as a tool to express myself from time to time and to capture memories I want to save, but it's not my passion. I could really care less about f-stops, and all of the technical stuff. I understand a good portion of it, but I try not to learn too much. I learn what I need to make my photographs the way I want and that's it. So, where does that leave me? Hmmm... I dunno. Being a mom is pretty fulfilling, but I didn't always feel that way. I used to think I had to be someone else on top of being a mom. I've come to appreciate being a parent more now that I've had to work outside the home for the past two years. With that said, I like doing creative things. I haven't made a real sculpture since my college days. I may go back to that, I may not. The story of my life is that I like a little bit of everything.)




3 comments:

Tracy P. said...

That is very cool! You are a photographer in your own right. Great shot, great message.

Unknown said...

Too close to home for sure! I got a kick out of the grammar. ;-) Really good shot - composition is perfect and I like how the bend in the fortune makes it look like a path!

Sandie said...

Great shot, the thought is worth pondering too.