Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 15: Inspiration



Having only seen the movies and never read the book(s), I am now reading, "Lord of the Rings". I love fairy tales and fantasy and truth. The forward of the particular copy we own speaks of Tolkien's struggle to write the book in the in between hours of working and life. And, to think he had to do it on a manual typewriter! The arduous task of editing and typesetting followed and it seems that everytime a new published would publish the book, previous corrections would get lost or corrected in some new way during the typesetting process. Therefore, there are several different versions to be had. I find of all of these facts interesting. What I am enjoying about the book, so far, is having the delight of reading the sections that were deleted. It's like getting to savor a meal long after having already eaten.

3 comments:

nikki said...

Such a beautiful version of the book. I love the elvish that frames the page. I find those kinds of things fascinating too... how artists create. :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Nikki the book is beautiful and the history is fascinating. The shot's pretty good too. :)

Susanne Barrett said...

Such a lovely edition of LOTR! My boys have read them, but I haven't. I'm not a big fan of fantasy; mysteries are more my thing. :)