Monday, February 26, 2007

Day 58- A New Appreciation



I wanted to add to this post that my new appreciation isn't only for this wonderful handicapped bathroom which was located in our hotel room but even more for people who live their whole lives in wheelchairs or on crutches. Things like ramps rather than stairs, rails for the toilet, a chair for the shower make life on crutches so much easier and closer to the average human experience. The height of countertops while sitting in a chair is also noticeable and I wonder how someone in a wheel chair adapts. .. if they put up with it or if they have their kitchens custom built or what.

9 comments:

LauraLiz said...

This is a great shot, and boy does it bring back memories! I was interning with a full leg cast, and before my leg got strong enough to lift the cast, I could not go to the bathroom myself. For one thing, I didn't fit in the stalls at the hospital unless I left the door open (the leg had to be straight out in front of me, about 18" off the ground). In the beginning, someone had to go with me to hold my leg up so I could sit where I needed to sit....memories, memories. Hang in there!

(Nice bathroom, btw!!)

SUSAN said...

Those hand rails...life's simple pleasures!

Susan

Colleen said...

Whenever I've been post-surgery ~ or had little people in a stroller, for that matter ~ I had that newfound appreciation for what life is like for people with physical challenges. I don't envy you, my dear. Glad you're pain level isn't as bad as it was last week, though.

my15minutes said...

Love the lighting on this one.

Paula said...

I visited a new friend, who lost both legs in Iraq, last week. It does make you stop and think.
http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=andrewkinard

Jess said...

This is such a compelling perspective.

Dancingirl said...

I appreciate all your thoughts here and the photo is a creative way to capture them in picture form.

Colleen said...

C'mon, girlfriend...get some new pictures up here. It's not like you're in pain and recovering from an accident or anything...!

Unknown said...

For a minute, I forgot you'd need a handicapped bathroom stall. Great b&w shot and it is interesting to see the bathroom from your perspective with foot leading the way.