Monday, February 5, 2007

Self Domesticated

"Inside/Out"



Once in awhile the layers peel off easily other times you have to keep picking and picking to uncover what lies beneath. And, what makes you decide to start peeling off the pieces in the first place? Perhaps there was already a nick and you start picking because it's there and you can. You think you can stop yourself but once you start the process you pick some more until what's underneath is half exposed. At this point, you realize you can't go back but you are unsure if you have the strength, patience, discipline and willpower to move forward. Afterall, some of the pieces aren't as easily removed as that first little deceptive piece. It's those damn tiny ones that want to stick there like a barnacle on a rock that can make a person feel crazy and hopeless. You have to keep scraping and picking and even when it comes off, the moment you turn around it can adhere itself elsewhere further down and out of sight only to be found when you think you are finally finished.



Joy (Ode to Cindy Sherman)

9 comments:

Sandie said...

These archetypes are ones I can identify with. You pushed the stereotype into an archetype! You showed what was under the 'mask' of the original still. Great Job!

SUSAN said...

Oh my goodness, Dali. I laughed out loud at that last one. I also cringed and felt a little sad. Perfect!

Susan

Natalia said...

I have to ask, how do you take the pictures? do you use the timer? Just curious...

Dalissa 365 said...

I use whatever arm you don't see in the photo to snap the shot. Jeff did show me how to use the timer but I couldn't find the setting when I looked. His camera has way two separate computer screens with multiple setting options and who knows what else. I plan on asking him to show me again next time or I might purchase a shutter release so that I can snap the photo at the exact moment I want without holding the camera. It was quite a trick balancing the camera today. Some shots I took, which aren't included here, I had the camera balancing on my shoulder so that half my face would show but so there'd still be plenty of background. For the eyes photo from a couple days ago, I placed the camera on a table and used the reflection in the lens to position my eyes how I wanted them.

Colleen said...

Wipe that smirk off your face, girlfriend; at least you have a dishwasher. ;-) These are great. I so-o-o-o identify with the wallpaper peeling. Something possessed me to start that process four days before Hans's parents were due to arrive a couple of years ago. I spent the next hundred hours picking, peeling, scraping, priming, painting ~ forced to go forward all because of my initial curiosity. Torture. Total torture. But I love my red and green living room now. : )

Unknown said...

Dalissa! I was just thinking about how to create a self-portrait ala Cindy Sherman too. You beat me to it. I'm still thinking. Great shots. I identify with the first one - absently looking out the window while washing dishes (though for some reason, that's one task I don't mind).

The wallpaper peeling? Ugh! Great metaphor for the endless peeling through layers of self. I wrote about that very process relating it to the study of wallpaper last year. :)

Enjoying your series.

Dalissa 365 said...

Well, the last one is really the only one I wanted to attribute to Cindy. I've been taking photos of myself peeling wallpaper since before looking at her work. I am drawn to the metaphor provided by peeling wallpaper and hey, wouldn't you rather see me peeling wallpaper than ripping a scab off of my body?

And, Colleen... that's crazy! I am so lucking out with this wallpaper... most of it is coming off in huge sheets.

Ampersand said...

I love them all, but the last one is fabulous. I can't get enough of your expression.

Paula said...

I bought an old housedress at the thrift shop today and asked my daughter if she would model for me to try and create one of the pictures. Not of myself, as Cindy Sherman's work was, but just to imitate it as best I could. But you were there first! I'm still going to try something though.