Thursday, January 25, 2007

Main St. Baptist Circa 1902...









I shot all of these using natural light. This church is very dark inside especially since they keep the lights off unless the rooms are in use. Jeff observed that the woodwork inside is similar to ours which isn't surprising since they were built around the same time. I was here today because Eve's art class is held in the basement of this church along with other homeschool activities throughout the week. The pastor lets the hs co-op I started along with a different one use his church for free except for donations to cover heat and electricity. You won't find a better deal or better architecture anywhere else.

9 comments:

SUSAN said...

Oh my. I could plunk down right there and meditate for about half a day. Beautiful!

Susan

Dancingirl said...

Just beautiful. Every one of them. I esp. like the top one and the third one down... The angles and lines in that third on are really good.

Sandy said...

I love stained glass windows! I like how you used the arches or the stairway to frame the picture. The natural light makes these beautiful. The last one is definitely my favorite. I love the stained glass pattern and how the light spills on ot the pews. Really nice shots!

Hmmm, thinking of places near me with stained glass.......:)

Colleen said...

Oh, my goodness, who knew a Baptist church could be a treasure trove of good architecture and stained glass art?! What a lovely place, Dali, and you captured it so well.

Unknown said...

Seriously, I love Phillie! What a cool city in every way. You ahve the best buildings.

These shots, especially the second one, are gorgeous. Stained glass makes such good pictures.

Ampersand said...

These are just lovely...

LauraLiz said...

I kept trying to pick my favorite, and kept changing my mind! They are all wonderful.

RedGypsie said...

Absolutely beautiful. A flash would've ruined that effect.

Sandy, give Immaculate Conception downtown a look-see.

Sandie said...

Very beautiful! I would never in a million years thought this was a Baptist church. I can't pick a favorite, they are all just stunning.