Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day 16- End of the Fencing Tournament...



The fencing tournament ended today. This tournament was not about who was the best fencer but instead was about who was willing to challenge himself the most. Whoever fenced the most students was the winner. Since this class has a wide variety of ages and skill levels this means that the more experienced fencers have to "lower" themselves and either agree to or ask the less skilled fencers to a bout and vice versa. This is a photo of the instructors dressed up for the occasion... some even had drawn on mustaches.



This is the hand-inked certificate for the winners to sign. Note where Jonah placed... 2nd! (He also placed first for the "most jackets hung up" since they try to encourage the students to hang up jackets that have fallen on the floor.) At the end of all the year, the overall tournament winner will win a real sword... pretty cool, huh?



Jonah being announced in second place and shaking hands with my favorite instructor because he is great at teaching the history and etiquette of fencing as well as technique and skill. I think of him as "the rooster" and plan to incorporate him as a character into my fairytale.



Jonah signing the certificate.



Jonah fencing. I had another shot that went with this one that made a great "series" but it got lost and I don't feel like looking for it. Plus, I have major overkilled with the photos today... sorry. Proud mama moment.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

What a fun set of pictures, Dali! It's too hard to choose just one each day; I like following a story with a series of photos. I'd love my boys to do fencing but I haven't found a viable option near me. I can just imagine what they'd do with a real sword around the house, though. LOL Congratulations to Jonah! : )

Sandie said...

Cool, I'll never get tired of seeing the studio. It is really pretty and the light makes it glow. I love all the history and tradition that they include, great memories!

LauraLiz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LauraLiz said...

Isn't there a way to edit a comment without deleting the whole thing?

Anyway, I hope Jonah is proud of himself! This is great. (Although of course I thought it was you out there shaking someone's hand.

I especially like the first photo. The lighting couldn't have been easy to work with, but you've done it very well. I like the camera angle with the sword angles...nice touch.

Dancingirl said...

I like the top one a bunch, too.

Congrats to Jonah! I like that the studio is encouraging the students to challenge themselves.

Jess said...

I keep showing these picture to the girls and asking if they'd be interested but they keep saying no, ah well! Looks so fun!

Katrina said...

never too many photos! . . . especially when they tell such a great story. :)