Thursday, January 4, 2007

Mandarin Orange Kitchen Wall



This isn't the most exciting photo but it kind of gives you a glimpse of the color of my kitchen. I shot it at night so it might have been more vibrant if I had waited until this morning. After being in our house for 6 years, I decided last year that I was going to stop waiting to have the money or time to make changes and just plain make small less expensive changes as often as I could.
This kitchen used to have drab wallpaper to go with it's ugly mauve kitchen countertops. For a couple years, I tried to figure out what color I like that would also go with the countertops. Last year, I decided it didn't matter much if it went well or not and chose this color. I love it. It makes me happy. For a few months after painting it, I left the outlet covers off because I really wanted to get new white ones instead of keeping the ugly tan ones. But, since I don't know how to do the electrical work involved in changing that inside outlet part, the covers just sat. One day it occured to me that the outlets didn't need to remain tan and I didn't need to buy anything new... I grabbed one of Jeff's sharpies and decorated all of the outlets and switchplates in the kitchen with the same kind of doodles that I have been doing my whole life on my homework, sketchbooks, etc.

7 comments:

Ampersand said...

Really cool shot! Love the wall color and love the creativity of the sharpie-doodle on the switch-plate.

Katrina said...

Nice doodles! :)

LauraLiz said...

I think this is a great photo! I love the wall color, and the simplicity of the photo is just what I like.

Paula said...

You, my dear, are one creative lady! Take a picture of an outlet at my house and you'd get.....a picture of a boring outlet. I love it!

my15minutes said...

What great creative energy...exhibited in the composition, the colors, the funky switchplate, the minimalist look. Love it!

SUSAN said...

Love the wall color and switch plate. Very artsy photo.

Susan

Jess said...

I am completely amazed that you thought to personalize your outlets like that! And I LOVE that you used your doodles - I've always admired them :)
Jess